9.22.2010

Good Eats: Chicken Taco Soup

Today is Good Eats post day!  Horray!  Or should I say... Yum!  So I must put it out there first that my kids are very picky eaters.  I make the plainest food ever & still get complaints.  I always tell them that they are lucky I don't make weird food - whatever that might be - & that they should be grateful for all the work I put into feeding them.  Guilt trips only work about 60% of the time.  And I should also mention that because we are plain food eaters, I got in a rut of making the same ol' things for us to eat.  That is no bueno.  So on Tuesday, I decided to spice things up a little bit.   With Rachel Ray's Chicken Taco Soup to be exact.  I didn't follow the directions exactly, but it gave me something to go off of.  Here's my oh so yummy version:



Chicken Taco Soup
by Rachel Ray (altered by Anna)

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion
1 clove garlic
3-4 skinless boness chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups salsa verde
1 quart Rachel Ray chicken stock
3 Roma tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
black pepper to taste
shredded yellow cheese
tortilla chips

Preparation
In a large, deep pot (you'll be using it later to cook the soup in too), add olive oil & pressed garlic into pan over meduim low heat until garlic becomes golden brown.  Chop half an onion into small pieces & add to garlic.  When onion becomes soft, add chicken (I wash & pat mine dry with paper towels first).  Flip the chicken every 5 minutes & stir everything in the pot every 2 minutes (so the onions don't burn).  Once the chicken is cooked through, remove all of the chicken from the pan & put it on a cutting board.  Put your burner on low heat & carefully pour the chicken stock & salsa verde into the pot.   Stir.  Now cut your chicken into pieces.  Shredded-type pieces are best for this soup.  Put chicken back into pot.  Cut tomatoes & cilantro into small slices.  Add to pot.  Stir.  Add desired amount of pepper (you don't need much).  Turn up your burner's heat to medium & let the soup boil for 1 minute.  Then remove the pot from the burner to let the soup cool down.  Turn off your burner.  Serve in bowls with cheese sprinkled on top.  Add chips on the side.  Enjoy!

**My hubby LOVED this & my kids actually ate most of theirs.  I'll definitely be making this again :)

Hope you like it!
--Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment

These lovely people had something to say: