3.01.2011

Good Eats: potato soup

Remember that plethora of potatoes I mentioned a few posts ago?  Well I decided to put a few of them to good use & make something new - potato soup.  I found a recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (given to the Mr. & I as a wedding gift 13.5 years ago).  It's my go-to cookbook and we always like everything I make from it.  The recipe makes enough for about 4 people but I wanted to make a little more since we are hearty soup eaters.  So I tweaked the recipe a bit & this was the delicious result:


Ingredients:
5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, plus 3/4 cup
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons dill
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 cups whole milk

To Make:
Boil peeled and cubed potatoes till soft.  Remove potatoes from water and place in large bowl.  Mash straight up and down with a wood spoon.  The more you mash it, the mushier it will be.  So if you want your soup a little chunkier, don't mash it as much.  Add chicken broth to the bowl of potatoes and stir gently.  Let sit.  In a large pot, melt butter on medium-low heat.  Add flour and dill.  Stir with wood spoon till mixture bubbles for one minute.  Add potato mixture to pot.  Stir.  Add milk.  Stir.  Add 3/4 cup chicken broth.  Stir.  Let soup heat through.  Pour into bowls and serve.  Add salt & pepper to taste.

This soup is perfect for warming you up on a cold winter day.  I had my 9 year old help me & was surprised  at how easy it was to make.   Enjoy!!

Happy Eating,
--Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment

These lovely people had something to say: