7.18.2011

Make It Monday: Simple Shirt Makover

Since Tot is younger than Boo, it is only natural that Tot wears lots of hand-me-downs.  But Boo is about 6 years older than Tot.  Fashion can change a lot in 6 years.  When Boo was younger, I tried to purchase clothing that was somewhat plain so that I wouldn't have to worry about it not being fashionable later.  But many of Boo's shirts seemed too plain for my crazy little Tot.  So today I'm going to share a simple way to make over a shirt {that was once worn by Boo & is now fashioned for Tot}.


Gather the following supplies:


  • a shirt
  • a photo of the shape you want to put on your shirt (I chose butterflies.  I google a photo & printed it out in 3 different sizes to give the finished shirt more interest.)
  • 2 different kinds of fabric - you can use more if you like, depending on your shape & how many you are using on your shirt
  • scissors
  • Wonder Under (I love love love this stuff)
  • iron
To add your shape to the shirt, simply follow the directions on the Wonder Under packaging.  It's pretty straightforward.  Even though you don't have to, I stitched around the edges of the butterflies to keep them from fraying too much in the future.  Yes, my kids are rough on their clothes so I wanted to make sure they would stay put for a long time.  You should end up with something like this:








I fiddled with the placement of the butterflies before committing them to their final spots with the iron.  Play around with your shapes till you have a design you love.  You can tell from the close-ups that I am not fabulous at sewing by any means, ha!  But if you choose to sew your edges, use a contrasting thread to add extra visual interest to your shapes.  It turned Tot's blah hand-me-down brown shirt into something cute & totally wearable.

Did you try this??  I'd love to see!  Link it up in the comments section or shoot me an email & I just might feature your project :)

Happy Crafting!!
--Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment

These lovely people had something to say: