2.12.2013

Sunday unplugged

Hello.  My name is Anna and my kids are addicted to gadgets and stuff.  Seriously.  Like every time they walk into the house after school, they ask two questions: 1.  Can I have a snack?   2.  If I read for 1/2 an hour and do a chore, can I play the wii or computer?    This is every single day and I am sick of it.  Before we had kids, I dreamed that they would spend their days playing outside, putting on homemade puppet shows and reading classic books.  Then I realize that was my childhood, not theirs.  Kids are so glued to technology these days and I am fighting like mad to keep my kids focused on other things.  I'm not against technology completely, I'm just not for it all the time.

So on Sunday, we unplugged.  Our tv stayed off all day.  Leap Pads and MP3 players stayed in their spots.  Cell phones were tucked away, only to be used if someone called.  We read books, played with toys, talked and laughed.  I snuck in a little guitar playing time (I'm teaching myself bit by bit) while the Mr. napped.  And just before bed, we sat around our living room table and played a mean game of UNO.  I had no idea my kids were so competitive - especially Carter.  And when it was time for bed, there was no whining, complaining, or getting up 3 times for a drink of water.   Hello, that NEVER happens.



The Mr. and I agree that Sunday was the most perfect day we've had together as a family in a long time.  I imagine there will be many more unplugged days in our future.  We haven't fully decided whether we'll stick to a regular schedule or if we'll randomly pick days to be unplugged.

What about you?  Does your family unplug?  What fun things do you do to pass the time?  Please share in the comments below!



2 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! Hopefully it will help show just how much fun they can have without their gadgets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lot of fun reconnecting with my kiddos! I am picturing a long game of Monopoly next time we unplug.

    ReplyDelete

These lovely people had something to say: